Inspiring culture seekers since 1943, the Butler Gallery is a not-for-profit organisation that is free of charge and open to the public seven days a week year round. We offer our visitors contemporary exhibitions, which reflect the constantly changing nature of visual art practice. Providing a platform for the best of Irish art today and demonstrating a strong commitment to presenting work by artists of international repute, we aim to stimulate, inspire and challenge our audience.
- Six exhibitions annually with up to 70,000 visitors per year
- Engaging public programme that includes special initiatives like Red Square Youth Arts and Culture Club for adults.
- Six Artist Residencies annually in primary schools throughout Co. Kilkenny.
- Largest outdoor celebration of National Drawing Day in Ireland.
- Regular FREE children’s art-making programmes.
- Free tours and visits for primary and post-primary school groups.
- After hours opening and special events celebrating Culture Night.
- Initiatives enabling visitors with additional access needs, such as Discovery Pen audio description for blind and visually impaired visitors and the Azure Programme for visitors living with dementia.
- Museum Accreditation since 2008 for excellence in Caring for Collections, Museum Management and Exhibition, Education and Visitor Services. Dedication to safeguarding our important Permanent Collection which has grown through purchases, gifts, loans and bequests, including loans from the Basil Goulding Collection and private collections.
- Patron Loan Scheme enthusiastically supported by individuals and local businesses.
- Well-developed and innovative Education Programme for all ages.
- Excellent Volunteer Programme.
- Strong national and international links through participation in National Touring exhibitions and EU Erasmus+ Programme.
- New Museum Development at Evan’s Home began in 2018 which will provide a new home for the Butler Gallery, where our collection will be on view along with a wing dedicated to the work of Kilkenny-born artist Tony O’Malley.
– Invitations to exhibition openings for member and guest
– 20% discount on Butler Gallery catalogues
– 10% discount on Butler Gallery Limited Editions, excluding fundraising activities
– Invitation to Annual Summer Party
– Annual organised trip to major exhibitions
– Annual visit to artist studio
All benefits of friend membership
Available to students and unemployed only (supplement required to attend Summer Party)
All the benefits of Friend membership plus:
– Tax Relief
– Invitation to occasional post-preview suppers with the Director and Artists
– Loan of a significant work from the collection for a period of 1 year*
All the benefits of Benefactors plus:
– Loan of a group of works from the collection for a period of 1 year*
– Name on Patrons Board
*Benefactor and Patron loans are subject to certain conditions
For more information on our Friends and Patron Loan Scheme, please call us on
>If you don’t have a PayPal account, you can also pay with a Debit or Credit Card. Select your membership option below and ‘Pay Now’, then click the ‘Don’t have a Paypal account’ or ‘Pay with card’ option on the paypal payment window.
Please be in touch if you would like to discuss options for bank transfer or recurring annual standing order.