Butler Gallery is delighted to announce a colouring competition for children aged 5-12 years old. The competition will be based on imaginative and creative colouring of The Tholsel, Paul Henry, 1939-40, a significant work from the Butler Gallery collection which can be downloaded from the Butler Gallery website here.
This colouring competition marks Butler Gallery’s participation in National Drawing Day for the 13th year running.
There are two categories for entry, 5-7 years and 8-12 years. Each category will have one winner, chosen by an expert judging panel. Each winner will each receive a prize of childrens art materials worth €50.
The Tholsel, Paul Henry
The Tholsel was one of the first artworks donated to the collection of Kilkenny Art Gallery Society in 1943, now Butler Gallery. It is a rare example of an urban scene by an artist most well-known for his depictions of rural and isolated scenes in the West of Ireland. Over 80 years since this painting was created, it depicts a view of Kilkenny from the river, that will be the new view from Butler Gallery when it is relocated to Evans’ Home on Johns Quay in Summer 2020.
How to Enter:
- Download the colouring page The Tholsel from the Butler Gallery website here.
- Use your imagination to create a vivid personal interpretation of this Kilkenny painting.
- Download the accompanying application form and fill in. Please read the Terms and Conditions.
- Take a photo or scan your colouring and send it, with the application form, to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title Colouring Competition by 5pm, 31st May 2020. Make sure the quality of the image is very clear!
- Winners will be announced on 12thJune by our expert judging panel.